Arsenal Stadium Regeneration Scheme
Arsenal Stadium regeneration scheme has become a landmark success story in stadium-led regeneration - it was delivered on time and within budget and has been a catalyst for major environmental, physical and social improvements in the area, as well as providing substantial transport improvements such as the ongoing capacity improvements to Highbury & Islington Underground Station.
I advised and assisted the London Borough of Islington in relation to numerous planning and CPO issues, including:
- Negotiating the complex principal Section 106 Agreement and subsequent deeds of modification;
- Advising on subsequent section 73 applications and occasional enforcement and implementation issues.
- The planning permission included the 'Arsenal condition' and there were associated 'binding the site' planning obligations to ensure that the necessary framework of planning control was provided a binding basis of planning control in the period before all necessary land interests were acquired.
- Advising and acting for the Council in drafting and promoting the CPO documentation and helping the council in preparing for and presenting its case at the public inquiry, including advising and acting for the Council in relation to CPO compensation issues and proceedings in the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).
- The scheme was successfully defended in judicial review proceedings brought against the planning permission and judicial challenge proceedings against the decision to confirm the CPO.
Paul came to us with a reputation as one of the top Planning lawyers in the country. This was soon borne out by the quality of his advice - it was clear that his experience and expertise put him at the very top of his profession. Countless problems and barriers were overcome with the benefit of his skill and sound judgement, often leading to a least cost solution thereby providing real value for money. As for future clients: well they can have absolute trust in his integrity and commitment to them, he is totally reliable, highly responsive and his advice will always be delivered in a calm and thoughtful fashion that instils confidence. I cannot think of a more popular and effective member of the project team and could not recommend more highly.
Kevin O'Leary, Corporate Director - Environment & Regeneration Islington Council
Paul Winter represented the local planning authority throughout, and although on the opposing team and clearly on occasions representing a different view, proved to be a major and integral part in finding solutions to the numerous challenges that were encountered on the way. So often we are faced with people telling us what we could not do. Paul knew what we could not do, but offered solutions. A "can do " man in every sense. Our regeneration programme is now almost complete. Paul's competence and deep knowledge and understanding of the complexities, has played a major and valuable part in Arsenal remaining in the borough, our home since 1913. Thank you Paul.
Ken Friar OBE, Executive Director, Arsenal Football Club